Our mission is to create New World wines with Old World soul—wines that reveal the complex nuances of our vineyards and the cool climate winegrowing region. We farm organically with the goal of producing wines that transparently and authentically express site and variety. From gentle foot-treading to natural fermentation, our wines are handcrafted according to a minimalist, time-honored practice. We utilize traditional tools like whole-cluster fermentation rather than relying upon modern additions like commercial yeasts and commercial adjustments in the cellar.
Because we believe that winemaking begins in the vineyard, we are deeply committed to organic viticultural practices. In the cellar, our philosophy is to honor the characteristics of each vintage, vineyard and varietal—and in doing so, honor Mother Nature. We favor a subtle oak influence in our reds and sur lie aging. We avoid fining and filtering whenever possible. By keeping our production small, we can give every vine, fermentation bin and barrel the attention it deserves. The result: aromatic, ethereal wines of intensity, personality, and liveliness.
After 20 years at our Estate Vineyard & Winery up in Boulder Creek, 2020 brought about a few monumental changes: the CZU fires rewrote paths for many of us up in the mountains, and the closing of our doors in Saratoga during COVID meant a new search for a space that community could gather and share a bottle of wine in. It’s with this that we decided to put down roots in Santa Cruz, bringing the natural winemaking style, organic farming vision, and energy for drinking great wine in the company of great people to a place we love so deeply.
Our Santa Cruz Tasting Room and Wine Bar is now open on 525 Pacific Ave, walking distance between downtown and the Wharf. From bottles, to glasses, to flights – there are a multitude of ways to taste through our wines and get a sense of what we are all about. The same grape-to-glass mentality is something we wanted to mirror when creating a food menu to enjoy alongside our wines. We collaborated with local growers, makers, and chefs of the Santa Cruz region who had an aligned vision – respect for the environment, locally-focused, organic where possible, and artisanal in nature. From small bites, to open-face baguettes, to salads and a famed red-wine beef stew produced by Chef Brad Briske of HOME, we have a little something for everyone to elevate their wine sipping experience.
Hours of operation at our Santa Cruz location.
Or join us for one of our upcoming events listed out below!
Upcoming July Events:
- 2021 Rosé + special dessert pairing
- All July / summer months
- Details: We love a Rosé in the summer. And we love it more when our Culinary wizard whips up a dessert as the perfect pairing. Swing by our Santa Cruz Tasting Room & Wine Bar throughout the month of July and order a glass of our new 2021 Rosé paired with Rosé poached pears. Trust us it will make your summer evening feel that much more special…
- Reservation link: https://www.exploretock.com/big-basin-vineyards-santa-cruz-tasting-room-wine-bar
- Summer Wine Club Party
- Saturday, July 9th @ 12PM + 4PM.
- Ticket link: firstname.lastname@example.org
Details: Our summer wine club release is finally here…. and that means a reason to gather. Come join us on Saturday July 9th at our Santa Cruz Tasting Room and Wine Bar for our Summer Wine Club Pick-Up Party. We’ll be tasting through the new release wines alongside their library comparisons and specially curated light bites to pair with each of the debuting wines. Wines will be available on site to pack up your shipment, with special club pricing on library verticals to add for your take-home enjoyment. Food pairings include catering by H&H Fish and specially created in-house pairings by our Culinary Lead.Summer release wines:2019 Homestead Block Roussanne2019 Ferrari Pinot Noir2018 Sixty-Two Terraces Syrah2019 Odeon: BBV’s debut of 100% Cabernet Sauvignon from Betchard Vineyards
Games & prizes will be on site.
Thursday, July 21st @ 4PM
Details: We’re finally bringing Throwback Thursdays to Santa Cruz….! If you were apart of our Saratoga community, you already know the hype around these: bring out the oldies… wine & music. Join us Thursday, July 21st from 4-9PM with Founder, Bradley Brown, as he pours a flight of library wines, coravinned specially for the occasion. These are the wines stored in a secret stash that we only have a handful of cases left. Come ready to try something from the vault. We’ll have our record player going, so bring your favorite records and yours might just get picked to play a favorite throwback tune. See you there.
Taste of Terrior Dinner with Brad Briske of HOME
Sunday July 24th
Details: Complex reds & elegant whites of the Santa Cruz Mountains farmed in vineyards nestled in the redwoods – paired with the farm to table cuisine of Brad Briske and HOME. Held at Big Basin Vineyards featuring the wines of Big Basin Vineyards, Aptos Vineyards, Lexington Wine Co, Neely Wines, Madson Wines, & Sandar & Hem.
90 minute wine reception and 4 course dinner. Reception begins at 4pm; Dinner starts at 5:30pm.
Fireside Fridays – wine and music beneath the vineyard
Friday July 8th, 15th, 22nd, 29th
Details: Friday evenings we like to gather around the fire, sip wine, and listen to some incredible musicians share their art with us beneath the vineyard. Grab some friends & come enjoy the scene as the sun goes down with a glass in hand.Rotating food trucks will be on-site serving up incredible bites. This is at our Boulder Creek location.Pups are welcome.
- Vineyard Picnic Experience: Farmer’s Market Edition
- Available select Saturdays and Sundays at our Boulder Creek Location, email for reservation
- Available for beach picnics in Santa Cruz select dates, email for reservation
- Reservation link: https://www.bigbasinvineyards.com/events/vineyard-picnic-experience/
- Details: We’ve always known there’s something special about the Santa Cruz Mountains: the abundance of wildlife that pays tribute to the rich ecosystems, the dedication to craftsmanship that is vibrantly at work throughout our community, and the sweet soulfulness that is felt when looking out from the ridge lines. Now, we’ve found a way to share it! Each week, we’re gathering a special collection of goods to showcase the farmers, makers and allies that keep us connected to this place we call home. When you book your picnic, expect an ever-changing variety of foods to match the seasons – hand-selected produce, fresh breads, and some of the county’s best dips and jams from our beloved farm stalls in the area. And of course, a bottle of Big Basin wine to accompany it. Available for groups between 2-20.