After watching this video about the Western Flyer Foundation and Ventana Surfboards & Supplies collaboration it got me thinking. If I had to pick some of our favorite Santa Cruz brands, hands down Ventana Surfboards & Supplies would be on the top of that list, and this video shows why. All the elements of what epitomizes the culture and branding of a super cool Santa Cruz company are seen in this video.
So we came up with a list (it’s an internet kinda thing):
Top 5 Reasons why Ventana Surfboards & Supplies is one of our favorite Santa Cruz brands
1) First of all, come on, have you seen their surfboards?? They are the most amazing functioning art on waves. The design, craftsmanship and thoughtfulness put into every surfboard and product by co-founder and master artisan, Martijn Stiphout, are nothing short of breathtaking.
2) If you have heard co-founder David Dennis speak at an event or talk at one of their Pop Up Shops you have no doubt heard him say “Ventana Surfboards & Supplies strives to be the most environmentally responsible surf company on the planet.” ✅ one, a great mission statement that they actually make every effort to live up to.
3) They have donated at least 5% of profits to the ocean conservation efforts of Save Our Shores, Surfrider Foundation Santa Cruz, Save the Waves Coalition, the Seymour Marine Discovery Center, the Western Flyer Foundation, the Monterey Bay Aquarium, and more.
4) Family and community. If you follow Ventana’s social media you know who their friends and family are. In a world where big business is so impersonal, it’s really refreshing to see a company that embraces the fact that they actually have a family and friends and a real community that supports them.
5) It’s all about collaborations. If you have ever seen anything written by or from Ventana you will definitely read about a collaboration. From Humble Sea Brewing Company beer, wine with Ser Winery, soap from Deerhaven (a small, family-run lavender farm in the Santa Cruz Mountains), Santa Cruz Guitar Company, Salt Saloon, Khordz Mugs, Uncut Standards, Maker Watch Company, Copper Pig Woodworking, Lili Arnold, Andrea Dingeldein, Upcycled Skate Art, Locus Surfboards, Ashley Lloyd Surfboards, The Plastic Pickup, Ethan Estess, Jessica Kendall-Bar, Jimbo Phillips, Follow the Sun Art, Line & Paper, and so many more.
So yes, we are big fans of Ventana Surfboards, and you should be too!
Learn more here about Ventana Surfboards here
Learn more here about the Western Flyer Foundation here